Monday, July 7, 2008

It's not the MN Orchestra...

More on that remark later.

The July 4th weekend - or Independence Day - is when everyone is out of town. Those of us who prefer to stay in the city are left with peace and quiet and few offerings of things to do with whoever is left. The man I'm in a relationship with left the city as well, unexpectedly, so I had a bit of a writing retreat, which turned out to be mostly getting organized. Independence Day is not exactly my favorite holiday and I would prefer those in charge just change it to a weekend every year and give us all a long one and leave it at that. When I did venture out I went up to my apartment roof on the 35th floor and watched the fireworks with strangers. A bit surreal - at least a dozen, maybe even twenty or so clusters of color and pops sounding off on the horizon above the Minneapolis city lights. One by one they had their grand finales as the smoke hung low.



On the 5th Lynette mentioned that she was asked to play violin

as part of the 331 Club's "Le Cirque Rouge Cabaret & Burlesque" (there she is in the photo at right). No, it's not the Minnesota Orchestra, but a campy, vaudville-like act with a hostess in a Marilyn Monroe accent and a safety pinned dress and several ladies of the evening flashing their body parts at the audience to the jazzy music. The guy in a tux onstage perfomed his 'innocent' act as he gathered the tossed articles of clothing from the stage. I came a bit early to get a seat at the bar so I wouldn't have to stand and met a nice woman who works at the Swedish Institute.



Sunday was uneventful. Hanging out with my kitty, just the two of us. Here she is enjoying her perch on the table on the balcony.










1 comment:

Erin Lynn said...

your balcony looks lovely, Jules! I, too, dislike the 4th of July, but more so up North. During the parade everyone clapped as war heroes marched by, but no one clapped when "veterans for peace" came around.
I am saving money so I can visit Mpls. this fall and it will be so good to see you!
Peace,
Erin